Whether your goal is to lose weight, gain weight or build muscle – there are a large variety of different workout supplements on the market these days. For someone who is new to a gym, it can be quite confusing and daunting to decide what exact supplement to buy or use.
A lot of information is out there on the internet and most of it can be quite difficult to understand. So we have put together an easy to read guide just for you on what we think will help you shape your decision on the best supplements for your fitness goals.
For your own benefit, please use this blog post as a guide and seek consultation from a health professional before starting to take any supplements you see listed here.
We also have been lucky enough to work with Amino Z, an Australian fitness, health and nutritional services company, to provide you with the information you see here.
This guide delves into the supplement categories listed below:
- SUPPLEMENTS FOR MUSCLE GAIN
Whether you’re looking to build or tone muscle, taking the correct supplement for muscle gain is vital to getting the results you want.
Because this will be your first time understanding what muscle building supplements do and how to take them, this section of the guide focuses purely on protein powders, which are regarded as the best for muscle gain.
The are many benefits to protein powder. The main benefits are the production of muscles and the repair and healing of muscles. Without the correct amount of protein, your muscles will have trouble healing quickly and this can lead to overtraining the muscles and injury.
Protein powder can be taken pre-workout, during the day or most commonly, post workout. It’s quite a versatile supplement which can be added to a smoothie, pancakes, made into bliss balls or even a protein mug cake!
There are many different options when it comes to protein powder. It all just comes down to your goals and what your preferences are. Here are the most commonly used protein powders for muscle gain below.
What is whey protein?
Whey is a natural byproduct of milk during cheese production made from cow’s milk. When processed, the water, fat and other substances are removed.
The benefits of whey protein:
Whey has the highest biological value which means it has all 9 of the amino acids. Amino acids are important for your metabolic process and for the storage of all nutrients in the body (such as water, fat, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals and vitamins).
Because it has the highest biological value, it’s the best for promoting growth in the muscles.
Whey protein helps with faster muscle recovery process and when taken after a workout, it helps with the healing of the tears in your muscle tissues.
WHEN AND HOW SHOULD I TAKE WHEY PROTEIN?
Whey protein comes in the form of powder. You can have this in a shake or smoothie. It’s quite versatile and you can really get creative with how you take your protein – you can add it to bliss balls and muffins or even make whey protein pancakes!
Depending on your much you need to take, consult the supplements label or a health professional. This will depend on your fitness goals.
Casein Protein Powder
WHAT IS CASEIN PROTEIN?
Casein is the dominant protein found in milk. Roughly 80% of cow’s milk is casein and the remaining 20% is whey.
Compared to whey, casein is a slow-digesting protein. What this means is that it has little effect on protein synthesis. Casein protein forms a lining in the stomach which results in a steady stream of amino acids to the bloodstream over time. Whey is able to do this same process in 40 minutes whereas Casein takes up to 7 hours.
BENEFITS OF CASEIN PROTEIN
Aids muscle recovery
Can help with great fat loss. If you’re looking to shed those few kilos down it can help aid with that goal
WHEN AND HOW DO I TAKE CASEIN PROTEIN?
Usually taken before bed since you require 8 hours of sleep to aid with muscle recovery. It can be taken in either a shake or smoothie form.
Soy Protein Powder
WHAT IS SOY PROTEIN?
Soy protein powder is derived from soy and is a great substitute for animal protein. Soy protein is suitable for people that are vegetarian or vegan, have certain allergies or are lactose intolerant.
BENEFITS OF SOY PROTEIN
It contains all the amino acids that are essential to human nutrition
Helps with improved muscle mass which is great for bodybuilders
Helps with decreasing body fat
Improve performance, metabolism and overall health.
WHEN AND HOW DO I TAKE SOY PROTEIN?
You can take this as a normal standard protein such as after a workout. The possibilities are endless in terms of how to take it. The most common forms are smoothies and shakes.